Internal Revenue Service
- For general inquiries – (800) 829-1040
- Summary of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA)
- Contact your local office in Maine
- The Taxpayer Bill of Rights
- Where’s my refund? Or, call the IRS at (800) 829-1954
- Where’s my AMENDED return? Or call the IRS at (866) 464-2050. The IRS advises that it could take up to 3 weeks after you file your amended return for it to show up in their system, and up to 16 weeks before it is processed.
- Frequently requested or downloaded IRS forms, and others:
- W-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
- W-4P Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments
- Form 8332 Release / Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent
- Report of Foreign Bank and Financial accounts (”FBAR”) information
- Tax Return – see Get Transcript FAQs
- Affordable Health Care Act – Click here for more information.
- Health Insurance Marketplace
- Help finding a health care plan in MAINE: Enroll 207
- Charities – Which charities are recognized by the IRS? The Tax Exempt Organization Search (TEOS) – formerly known as Select Check, is an on-line search tool. Users can select an exempt organization and check certain information about its federal tax status and filings.
- Goodwill Industries’ Valuation Guide
- Salvation Army Guide
- IRS Tax Calendar for Small Businesses and the Self-Employed
- IRS EZ PAY. See our FAQs page for more information on credit card, debit card, electronic payments.
- How to Report Suspected Tax Fraud
State of Maine
Maine Revenue Services
- Income Tax Division – (207) 626-8475
- Contact Me. Rev. Svc. divisions
- Your Rights As A Taxpayer
- Where’s my refund?
- Maine Tax Alert
- Summary of Maine Law Changes
- W-4ME Maine Withholding Allowance Certificate
- Tax Relief Applications
- Double Tax Credit Eligible Licensed Child Care Providers (f/k/a Quality Child Care Providers)
- Opportunity Maine Program for recent graduates of Maine colleges or universities, who still live and work in Maine. This is also referred to as the Maine Educational Opportunity Tax Credit.
- Maine EZ Pay for paying various taxes to the State of Maine, via EFT
- How to Report Suspected Tax Fraud
- Search for Unclaimed Property, State of Maine
- Do you need the services of a Notary Public? Search for one in your area of Maine.
Starting/Owning/Closing a Business
- The IRS has a great deal of information on starting a business, including a handy checklist. They caution that this list should not be construed as all-inclusive. Other steps may be appropriate for your specific type of business. You may also find their “Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center” helpful.
- The IRS Small Business & Self-Employed Tax Center: YouTube (IRSvideos)
- IRS.gov has resources to help business owners understand taxes
- The US Small Business Administration provides:
- Small Business Planner, plus “10 Steps to Starting a Business”
- SBA Learning Center
- Starting a Business in Maine
- Maine Sales/Use & Service Provider Tax There is a lot of information regarding sales taxes at this site. Find out whether you need to collect these taxes, how to report and forward the money to Maine Revenue Services, whether you need a resale certificate (and the application).
Learn about Federal Student Aid
- FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid information and application.
- FAFSA4caster: Follow this link for help in understanding our options for paying for college. By providing some basic information you can estimate your eligibility for federal student aid.
- CSS/Financial Aid Profile: The CSS Profile is used primarily by more selective colleges and universities, and for private scholarship programs, to collect “…more detailed information about a family’s financial circumstances and contains about 50% more questions than the FAFSA.”
- “NextGen” is Maine’s College Savings Plan. Learn more about it! For babies born in Maine, see the “2008 Harold Alfond College Challenge.”
- Saving for College; Fastweb; and Sallie Mae; Finance Authority of Maine (FAME); Scholarship SCAM Alert!; Maine Community College System
- The Complete List of Student Loan Forgiveness Programs and Options
Other Areas of Interest
EnergyStar – the U.S. EPA’s program. See the latest information on available energy tax credits. From time to time there are Special Offers and Rebates from EnergyStar Partners.
Foreign Currency Converter – Do you travel out of the country? Maybe you are going to Quebec for Winter Carnival, or Montreal for the jazz festival. You may want to take a break from Maine’s chilly winter by traveling to the Caribbean or to a sunny beach in Mexico or Bermuda? Destination weddings are quite popular, too! Learn about exchange rates at this site.
Savings Bonds Wizard – Find out how much your bonds are worth.
Understanding Employment Taxes
Protecting Your Child’s Information After a Data Breach, by Nicole Fleming, Consumer Education Specialist, FTC
Your ONLINE Life After Death, by Carol Kando-Pineda, Counsel, FTC, Division of Consumer & Business Education
Government Links and Information
The United States House of Representatives
State of Maine, Office of the Governor
Presidential Tax Returns Interesting!
Social Security Administration For information about your Social Security records, Retirement, Medicare, Disability, Survivor’s Benefits, changing your name and more, visit the Social Security Administrations’ web site.
- Create a “my Social Security” account. Social security beneficiaries who did not receive or misplaced their SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S can get an instant and official replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax purposes by creating a “my Social Security account.”
- SSA’s “Frequently Asked Questions”
Disclaimer: Jack Skehan and Associates has no control over information at any site hyperlinked to or from this Site. Therefore, we make no representation concerning, and are not responsible for, the quality, content, nature, or reliability of any hyperlinked site. The hyperlinks are provided to you only as a convenience. The inclusion of any hyperlink does not imply any endorsement, investigation, verification or monitoring by Jack Skehan and Associates of any information in any hyperlinked site. In no event shall Jack Skehan and Associates be responsible for your use of a hyperlinked site.